Friday, May 18, 2012

Want the Truth out of your Partner? Text Them!



I assumed as I believe most do that when asking someone a question via text they have a better opportunity to lie or distort the truth... For one thing the person sending the text can't see your facial expressions or hear the tone in your voice. I admit I'am a terrible lier, my voice raises an octave and my eyes dart to the floor. Though I actually find it to be a good quality, I'm never tempted to lie since I know even a small child could see my Pinocchio nose from a mile away.


However Pinocchio-esque you might be, a new iphone study claims that texting may actually reduce some respondents' tendency to shade the truth or to present themselves in the best possible light.


Fred Conrad a psychologist at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research who conducted the study said, " this is sort of surprising since many people thought texting would decrease the likelihood of disclosing sensitive information because it creates a record of questions and answers that others might see on your phone and in the cloud," aka traps like, "Oh you didn't text so-and-so last night at 3am, let me see your phone").


The study also found that people are more likely to provide thoughtful and honest responses via text messages even when they're in busy, distracting environments...Now this point I can believe. I can easily imagine myself walking through the city trying to text while looking up occasionally so I don't get bulldozed over by someone, but as soon as a bike or cab swipes by me a little too close for comfort I jot down the first thing that comes to mind and punch send. The in-the-moment response wouldn't give me enough time to sculpt any kind of fabricated answer.


I would be curious to see how many women versus men give more precise answers via texting but Conrad and his partners admit they are still in the early stages of analyzing their findings. 


Maybe that's why posts from that texts from last night web site seem so blatantly honest...http://www.textsfromlastnight.com/


Happy Friday~ Don't Drunk Text you never know what you could reveal! 


No comments:

Post a Comment