Thursday, May 24, 2012

Beware of.. Skinny Jeans?



First they tell you not to wear high heels and now you shouldn't wear skinny jeans either?!


 (And as I write this I am actually wearing a pair of skinny jeans).


I was actually pretty against the whole skinny jeans fad when it first started, I couldn't help thinking I looked like a giant A-hole every time I tried them on in a store, kind of like how I feel when I try to wear Keds. They always look cute on the shoe display, but once I get them on I resemble more of a Revenge of the Nerds kind of a character than some cute girl from the pages of a J.Crew catalog.  


Regardless, now that I have become accustomed to the tight skinny jeans that look amazing with a great pair of stilettos I hear that they can cause nerve damage!


According to Dr. Karen Boyle from the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, wearing skinny jeans that are too tight for you ( a la one turn in the wash) compresses a nerve that runs in the outer part of your thigh and can cause the disorder Miralsha Parasthetica. 


What's even worse.. she goes on to say how wearing high heels with your skinny jeans can make the symptoms worse suggesting, "When you wear high heels the axis of your pelvis changes and what happens is your pelvis tilts and your buttocks kind of kick out a little bit and your legs are longer looking. This is why women like to wear stilettos. But because the pelvis tilts some, it further accentuates the pressure that's caused on those nerves. It can make the symptoms worse."


And don't think this "disorder" only applies to women... I think we all know at least one guy whose jeans are a tad bit too skinny or tight looking..and as I was researching this story I read that in the past doctors have also warned men who were trying to have a baby to avoid tight-fitting jeans because they can make their testicles overheat, lowering their sperm count ).

So what's a girl or boy to do?... Boyle advises wearing jeggings or a pair of skinny jeans that has some kind of stretch to it... and if you do wear skinny jeans and ever feel a tingling/ numbness in your leg to stop wearing the fashion faux pas pronto or else it could lead to more permanent nerve damage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment