Friday, April 6, 2012

Wash your Hair Before You Go To Work!

I will admit, when I was working for a television morning show and all of my colleagues were female- with the exception of a few males ( but 2 out of 4 of them were gay anyways) I really didn't care about primping myself up just to go to work with a bunch of chicks. 


However, once I changed jobs and was thrown back into an environment with men and women cohorts, I figured it might be worth actually blow drying my hair and wearing a skirt or two to work..to... to.. what look more professional? To look like I care about my job more because I took more time getting ready in the morning? I'm sure you've heard of the saying 'Dress for the job you want not the one you have"..  So did I subconsciously think that dressing and looking better in the presence of men versus women would help me 'get the job I want'.. 


According to a Newsweek poll, women benefit more than their male counterparts from being considered attractive and good-looking by their employers.  72% of hiring managers say beauty is an asset to women in the workforce compared to 63% of managers who think attractiveness boosts men's careers. 


Another study by Daniel Hamermesh and Jeff Biddle titled, " Beauty and the Labor Market" said attractive workers earn 10% more in salary than their unattractive or average-looking co-workers. 


Now while the statistics can speak for themselves, ultimately you should still try to look the best you can look at work.. and let's face it, in our society you should really try to look the best you can no matter where you are.. 


I was recently teased for putting on make-up and doing my hair before heading to the airport for an early flight..but the same rule can apply here.. " dress for the seat you want (eh hem-first class) not the seat you have ( aka. way in the back with the crying babies and roaring engine). 


It might sound shallow, artificial or even ostentatious, but if a few slight improvements to your look ( non-surgical) has the chance or possibility of giving you a small advantage at your workplace or at the airport than why not take a minute or two and brush those flyaways down and change into a well ironed shirt and just put yourself together. 


Here is the full Beauty and the Labor Market study: http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~lsghent/hamerbiddle.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment