Monday, July 2, 2012

Do you Fear Childbirth?



I certainly do. Always have and always will. The movies, the Lifetime reality shows and of course all the multiple horror stories you hear from family and friends has been ingrained in my head and as a result I now petrified of my own personal D-Day.. aka Delivery day. As much as mothers want to tell you it doesn't really hurt or you won't remember any of the pain as soon as they hand you your new bundle of joy.. is .. well, its Bull shit.


You expect me to believe that a small infant- head and all- is going to go through a little tiny hole -a precious hole at that- and its not going to rip, tear and cut open your vagina and it's NOT going to hurt?... Ha- good try..Giving birth, I'm sure is all magical and amazing but to me its kind of alien-like- if you've seen the movie Aliens with Sigourney Weaver you know what I'm talking about. Something living in your stomach that you shoots out after 9 months seems a little more bizarre than miraculous to me.


However now it seems that my fear is going to be the death of me.


A new study found that women who are terrified of giving birth ( which is 5-20% of women) will spend longer times in labor. ( Just what I needed to hear). They found that women who feared childbirth spent 1 hour and 32 minutes longer in labor than women who weren't afraid. 


They also found that women who feared childbirth were more likely to need an emergency cesarean.


Dr. Stuart Fischbein told CNN " We have a society where sensationalism sells. They're pounded with information [about] things that can go wrong with childbirth. Of course you develop fears."


I wonder if you can go to a hypnotist to cure your fear of childbirth?

No comments:

Post a Comment