Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Is Sharing a Bed Good or Bad for You?





People will always argue with what they know.. either you sleep better when you have your partner next to you in bed or you don't.. or at least you think you don't.


The bed-sharing haters will cry that sheet-stealing, differing bedtimes and even room-temperature preferences make for a poor nights sleep but new studies counter their complaints showing how couples who sleep in the same bed can actually gain significant health benefits. 


One theory suggests that shared sleep helps promote feelings of safety and security in healthy relationships thus lowering levels of cortisol, a stress hormone.


I personally sleep better with my boyfriend versus sleeping alone. Maybe if he snored it would be different, but most women like to cuddle and I agree with the security part of  that theory too. With all the home invasion stories reported in the news its nice to know you aren't completely alone at night. 


In a 2009 study, women in long-term stable relationships fell asleep more quickly and woke up less during the night than single women. And when researchers simply asked participants about their sleep the night before, men said they slept better with their partners.


But of course not all men are alike, when I asked my boyfriend what he thought of the study he replied, "I think I sleep better when I am by myself… I don’t wake up as much and I can spread out instead of being cramped to one side of the bed!"


How nice... 


Do you sleep better alone?


No comments:

Post a Comment